Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Some Humor in China

 
 

 

Let us take some time to humor you with a few things we have noticed in China. First of all, a "No Smoking" sign in China really means "Smoke Like Chimney". Example #1 - As Marc was exercising in the workout room a man walked in talking on his cell phone and smoking a cigarette! Not only was he smoking in the workout room, where several No Smoking signs were posted, he was flicking the ashes on the floor. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?! Marc used his best sign language to remind the guy that... YOU DON'T SMOKE IN THE WORKOUT ROOM!! He quickly shuffled out of the room. Example #2 - Josiah and Marc were on the elevator headed for their room on the 18th floor. A gentleman entered on a lower floor with a lit cigarette. He tried to hide the cigarette behind his back. I could not help but laugh as smoke billowed out from behind him, the smell wafting about the elevator. I noticed a No Smoking sign above his head and across the elevator from him! In fact, there were FOUR No Smoking signs in the elevator. The guy must have thought I was blind, had no sense of smell and could not read.

OK, let's get off the No Smoking theme and start a new theme I will entitle, "Good Intentions Gone Wong." Please note the three pictures above. The first two were found in the restaurant and the third was found at the playground. "French Petty Fours" should apparently be "French Petit Fours"...I (Marc) did not get this one but Joan thought it was funny. The only French words I know are see vu plate, which means "please pass the plate". Now the second one really scared me. I think the word "lamb" should be substituted for "lamp". I was taking no chances however, deciding that I did not want to be electrocuted on my first bite. The third sign has been read over and over by both Joan and Marc. If you can decipher it please share with us in your comments to this blog.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: